Thursday, April 29, 2010

What's cookin' good-looking


My husband rented this movie called Julie & Julia (I told you he's a bit of a pansy). It's about how a blogger achieved fame and fortune by cooking her way through a French cookbook. Since I'm not sure you people want to read about reheated pizza, I've decided to actually cook something.


CHICKEN ESPENADA WITH CHEAT'S TSATSIKI


Prep time: 20 minutes

Served with: Fresh watermelon and cucumber

Vintage: A fine 201o Klipdrift brandy and Coke (what!)


Chop some chicken fillets into blocks and marinate in cayenne pepper, black pepper, crushed chillis, Worcestershire sauce, a bit of vinegar, garlic and onion. Picture your mother-in-law and say a little voodoo chant as you pierce the chicken with two skewers. Lightly fry in a pan with some water and oil until steamed and yummy.

For the tsatsiki, mix a carton of plain yoghurt, half a grated cucumber, salt and pepper, a spoon of vinegar and a spoon of garlic. It's not tsatsiki. But insist that it is. I also sliced a butternut into rings, steamed with a little water and then covered it with cinnamon sugar. It's yummy and also a vegetable so it made me feel good about myself. And as my friend indignantly said today, "It's not fattening. It has no fat, it's just sugar!"

I served it with some fresh watermelon for dessert. DW isn't home tonight so I made Sweeney Todd pose with the food. He liked it but he eats horsemeat for breakfast every day so what does he know? A nice sweet Port wine or a light Sauvignon Blanc would compliment the chillies but brandy and Coke tastes good with everything so there you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment