Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Why men can't remember...anything


My husband woke me up this morning at 6 am looking for his "hair wax". I'm not sure what that even is, but I haven't seen it. I've said many a time that the man needs GPS coordinates to find the ketchup. Admittedly I'm not the tidiest housekeeper on the planet but we only have 2 rooms in our cottage and there are only so many places it could be.


I googled the problem and apparently it's not entirely his fault. Memory loss is a distinctly male problem. So when he's forgetting where he put his hair wax, his hair gel, his guyliner, his manbag (apparently he has also forgotten that he is male...let's face it I'm not the one who forked over 500 bucks to see a certain male pianist with large glasses perform in the Botanical gardens last month...I'm not naming names but it rhymes with "Belton John").


The American Academy of Neurology in Chicago calls it MCI or mild cognitive impairment which can lead to dementia and men are one-and-a-half times more likely to have it than women. They haven't found the reason for it. In a related study, men suffering from the condition are over 80% more likely to be strangled by angry spouses than those who do not.

No comments:

Post a Comment