Thursday, May 6, 2010

Traditional South African Pannekoek


Week 3 and I still have no hot water. I was sitting in front of the wonky heater that DW-real-men-don't-need-instructions-Nagel assembled when I got a sudden craving for real pannekoek. Now this is not American flapjacks or pancakes. It's a thin rolled dough sprinkled liberally with cinnamon sugar and devoured with plenty of Irish coffee on the side. My friend Allen who is from Canada says this is the French method of cooking pancakes and it's called crepes, but I think he is full of crepe. This is pannekoek. I got this recipe from my second mother Annie Pannie. It's my ultimate comfort food. Nothing is better than coming home in the rain to the smell of this delicious doughy goodness. Enjoy!
Mix 3 cups of flour, 1 tspn of salt and 1/2 tspoon baking powder in a mixing bowl. Then beat 3 eggs and 2 cups of water in a separate bowl before combining the two mixtures. If it's too thick, add some water. Then add 2 tablespoons of oil and 2 tablespoons of vinegar.
You have to bake this in a very very warm pan. The first one, traditionally, is a major disaster and gets fed to the dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment